25 Feb What is iontophoresis – using an iontophoresis machine
Iontophoresis is a medical technique commonly used to treat an excessive sweating disorder called hyperhidrosis. Iontophoresis can also treat sports injuries. The treatment sends safe electrical currents into the skin through the water. Iontophoresis treatments are done at a doctor’s office, or at home depending on the condition and procedure.
Doctors are unsure why this process is successful. They believe procedure temporarily stops sweating due to blockage in the sweat glands.
Iontophoresis treatments for excessive sweating have a high success rate for most patients. One study showed that 85% of patients were successfully treated. The most common areas for patients to have excessive sweating are their feet, hands, and underarms. The electrical currents briefly block the sweat glands in the affected area of your body.
If your excessive sweating is severe, you may need iontophoresis treatments on a regular basis. If you require regular treatments, you can purchase a portable iontophoresis machine to treat hyperhidrosis in your home. People with less intense sweating can be treated in a doctor’s office on a schedule set by their physician. Typically, the iontophoresis sessions that treats hyperhidrosis last anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes.
For sports injuries, iontophoresis is always performed at a doctor’s office. Treatments are done several times per week, each lasting 10 to 15 minutes. Anti-inflammatory medication is added to the water to treat these sports related injuries. The procedures will continue until the injury starts to heal. You should not feel pain during these treatments, just a slight tingling sensation from the electrical currents.
Iontophoresis Side Effects
A common side effect of iontophoresis treatment is dry skin. People may also experience minor skin blisters, peeling, and irritation. If you experience any of these side effects, over the counter skin moisturizers or hydrocortisone cream can relieve discomfort.
The procedure is safe and relatively painless. If you have any cuts or open wounds, you will likely feel additional pain during treatment. Apply petroleum jelly to any areas with cuts to minimize discomfort. Iontophoresis treatment is not for everyone. People with cancer, epilepsy, cardiac pacemakers, metal implants, and pregnant women should avoid this treatment.
If you are ready to continue regular treatments at home instead of the doctor’s office, you will need to buy an iontophoresis machine. Machines are alternative options to an iontophoresis patch. You can purchase devices for as much as $1000 or as less as $50. With a price range so wide, make sure you know exactly what you need before purchasing. In some cases, your insurance company may cover the cost.
A standard home machine for effective treatment will cost between $500 and $700. Take into consideration the features different devices have to offer, the battery costs, size, portability, return policies and warranty information before you decide. Here are some options:
The Drionic Hand/Foot Device is an effective, safe, and natural solution for people with excessive sweating. The device is strictly for hyperhidrosis in hands and feet. Batteries are included with the machine.
The Droinic Hand/Foot Device has several benefits.
- The machine comes fully assembled.
- The Drionic Device comes with two stations sothat you can treat your hands and feet at the same time.
- Inexpensive price.
The Saalio Iontophoresis Device gives you different options for both direct current and pulsed current in one unit. The highly conductive silicone electrodes are large, soft, and have no open contact inside or outside of the water bath. Shipping is free if you live in the UK, but it’s not available for purchase in the United States.
The Anti-Sweating Saalio Iontophoresis Device has many key features that stand out from competing products.
- The soft and comfortable foam inserts are quick drying and machine washable.
- This device comes with parameters for the strength of the current, the direction of current, and treatment time.
- A memory function on the machine will start a new treatment with the same parameters as the previous one.
- This product comes with a 4-year warranty.
The Davita SUDORmed 1200 has safe, direct current and pulsed current settings for effective treatment in one system. This iontophoresis machine is for hands, feet, and extremities.
The top highlights of the Davita SUDORmed 1200 are:
- A large display on the machine shows the current mode, intensity, and time of treatment.
- Since the device is small and durable, you can easily transport this product for use outside of your home.
- Reasonably priced.
- The product ships for free in the UK.
The Idromed 5PS is meant to treat hyperhidrosis in hands and feet. Excessive sweating in underarms cannot be treated with the Idromed 5PS machine. The device is not available for purchase in the United States.
The Idromed 5PS has many key features.
- The low-intensity electric current does not cause any damage to sweat glands that would result in excessive sweat in other parts of your body.
- It comes with a carrying case for easy portability.
- The Idromed 5PS has aluminum plates to avoid allergic reactions to nickel.
- A single adjustable knob and modern controller are used to change settings with a clear text display.
- The machine ships for free in the UK.